Tuesday, May 23, 2006

God of my love


A children’s hymn begins with the words, “Gentle Jesus, meek and mild…”, but I have to admit that the children don’t know what it is that they are singing. Neither do some of the artists who try to portray a meek Jesus and instead end up with something sentimental and effeminate.

There is nothing weak about meekness. The meek Jesus was able to stand up to the opposition of the scribes and the Pharisees. He stood before Herod and Pilate. He stretched out his hands and allowed himself to be nailed to the Cross. Meekness means immense strength and courage, not defencelessness and timidity.

“Blessed are those who let God be God…”

What does it mean to let God be God in my life?

For a start, I trust that God knows what is best for me. I learn to follow him in the good times, but also in the bad, knowing that whatever route he leads me will be for my ultimate happiness. It’s so difficult and wearying when I try to do all the planning and to organise everything according to my own ideas. I become trapped inside my own head and within my own surroundings. I can’t escape from my problems or myself. Every day is an endless struggle to put things right.

Life is turned upside down when I let God be God. Suddenly I’m not alone. I become little, but he is great and powerful. He is the strong one who can carry me in my weakness and inadequacy. He can carry me and I won’t fall.

It takes courage, but it’s so much easier to put everything in God’s hands and to trust that he knows best, whatever will happen. Sometimes the way ahead will be obscure and frightening, as frightening as anything can be. There will be sleepless nights. I will sometimes wonder if God really does know what he’s doing because if I were God I would do things differently. But that’s the whole point. I am NOT God. I don’t know best. He does. If I can take a deep breath and trust in him, life is not so frightening. I’m no longer alone.

God of my love, be the God of my life.

God bless,
Sr. Janet Fearns