Friday, June 09, 2006

Too busy!

Rushing makes for some crazy results.

There was one time, when I was in Australia, when I dashed over from school, intending to have a quick lunch and then continue working. The trouble was that I was in such a hurry that I didn’t think what I was doing until after I had looked into my room to see if I was there!

One morning in Zambia, I rushed out of the house to the car, only to find that it wouldn’t start. As my heart sank and I wondered what next to do, I looked downwards. There, on the passenger seat, were the car keys. I was actually trying to push a banana into the ignition!

SLOW ME DOWN, LORD
Ease the pounding of my heart by the quieting of my mind.
Steady my hurried pace.
Give me, amidst the day's confusion,
the calmness of the everlasting hills.

Break the tensions of my nerves and muscles
with the soothing music of singing streams that live in my memory.

Help me to know the magical, restoring power of sleep.
Teach me the art of taking "minute vacations"...
slowing down to look at a flower,
to chat with a friend,
to read a few lines from a good book.

Remind me of the fable of the hare and the tortoise;
that the race is not always to the swift;
that there is more to life than measuring its speed.

Let me look up at the branches of the towering oak
and know that it grew slowly and well.
Inspire me to send my own roots down deep into the soil
of life's endearing values...
that I may grow toward the stars of my greater destiny.

God bless,
Sr. Janet